John Wayne Marina Public Information
The John Wayne Marina has been a community asset ever since the Port built it in the 1980s partly using revenue earned from the Port’s log handling operations and partly using debt. Since then, it has become a highly-used destination for both local and visiting families, boaters, kayakers, and other outdoor recreationists. Sequim Bay is also important to the Jamestown S’Kallam and Lower Elwha Klallam tribe’s shellfish beds and commercial fishing operations.
In October 2017, developer Ron Cole approached Port Executive Director Karen Goschen about a possible sale of John Wayne Marina (JWM) to his company, Buffalo River Holdings of Bend, Oregon. Ms. Goschen’s initial response was that the matter would not go to the Commission unless it was a serious offer.
To that end, over the next few months, the Port sent Mr. Cole public information about the marina including its financials, drawings, studies, engineering reports and other related documents on which to base a potential proposal.
In March, Ron Cole indicated he was interested in submitting a proposal if the Port was willing to receive one. The issue was then brought to the attention of the Port Board of Commissioners at its public March 13 board meeting. The Commissioners discussed aspects of the possible proposal and its ramifications. Ms. Goschen emphasized to them that “we have not received a formal offer,” but now is the appropriate time to seek Commission direction on the potential offer.
The Port commission believes that this potential unsolicited offer is a great opportunity to engage the community in a public discussion of a long-term vision for the marina.
It has been stressed that the Port will require that the marina remains publicly accessible. A public process will allow the sharing of ideas about what would make JWM a more active and vibrant marina that is a “go to” place for the community, and what is important to a wide range of stakeholders. The Port also needs to learn about the developer’s vision and ideas for enhancements, and compare that with what is learned from the community.
At this early exploratory stage, the Commissioners intend to pursue a public process to explore possibilities, gauge public interest, in the context of the Port’s Strategic Plan.
There are many related issues to consider. The Wayne family has always had a vision of seeing the area developed into a vibrant outdoor community. The City of Sequim has indicated an interest in JWM becoming part of a park district. Needed capital improvements at JWM must be completed while also keeping rates affordable. And the needs/desires of marina tenants should be balanced with the needs/desires of all property taxpayers.
Dates and places of public forums will be published with proper notice, and the community is encouraged to bring their ideas and questions.
NO DECISION WILL BE MADE WITHOUT
A PUBLIC, TRANSPARENT PROCESS
Questions for the Public
- What ways should the Port gather input from the public to develop a vision for the John Wayne Marina?
- What stakeholders or groups should the Port reach out to?
- What are the important points to consider as the Port creates this vision?
Please email your responses to the above questions to Holly Hairell at email@example.com
Below are responsive public documents related to the unsolicited potential offer to sell the John Wayne Marina.
- John Wayne Marina Economic Assess Final Draft 2009
- JWM Financials 2009 to 2016 and occupancy numbers
- Drainfield Deed 1981
- JWM 4th Quarter 2017 Report
- JWM 11 in by 17 in
- JWM 1984 Phase IV Site Development All Sheets
- JWM 1984 Admin Building All Sheets
- JWM 1984 Sewer
- Sewer Engineering Report
- Wayne Enterprises Letter 4-7-1995
- JWM Title Report
- List of JWM Tax Parcels
- JWM 1976 County Plat Map
- JWM Slip Numbers 8.5 x 11
- Port and Wayne Property History and Agreement
- JWM 1974 Survey of Section 34 and 27
- October 5, 2017 - Financials and Occupancy
- December 29, 2017 - JWM site and building drawings
- January 6, 2018 - Drainfield
- January 12, 2018 - Past JWM studies
- January 23, 2018 - Title report, tax parcels, survey, county plat map, 2009 JWM economic assessment
- February 14, 2018 - JWM septic system
- March 13, 2018 - Unaudited/draft 2017 JWM Financial Report
- March 16, 2018 - Pacific Marina Development inquiry